|Public Information Specialist
||Department of Arkansas Heritage (DAH)
|The Public Information Specialist is responsible for public relation activities related to the operation of a state agency. This position is governed by state and federal laws and agency policy.
|Plans and prepares promotional publications by gathering information for releases, selecting articles, format, design, and layout, sending publications to printer, proofreading copy, and arranging for distribution. Coordinates media coverage of events by issuing invitations, entertaining and accommodating media personnel, preparing press guides, and making facility arrangements. Arranges conferences and special events by making facility arrangements, serving as host to visitors, coordinating speakers and agenda, and working with convention personnel. Conducts interviews with individuals to gather information for news articles and stories. Researches past publications and records to obtain pertinent information about subjects of articles and stories. Disseminates news releases to newspapers, radio, and television media. Responds to requests for information by speaking at special events, making public appearances, and providing handouts and brochures. Performs other duties as assigned.
|Special Job Dimensions
|This position may involve in-state travel to various public relation events.
|Knowledge, Abilities, and Skills
|Knowledge of language usage for writing and speaking purposes. Knowledge of journalistic writing styles. Knowledge of format, design, and layout for publication purposes. Ability to coordinate conferences, special events, and media coverage. Ability to oversee activities associated with producing publications. Ability to compile and present promotional information through news articles and publications. Ability to speak at public appearances and special events.
|Minimum Education and/or Experience
|The formal education equivalent of a bachelor's degree with a major in communications, journalism, public relations or a related field; plus one year of experience in public relations, communications or a related area.
|In addition to the required qualifications, applicants should have experience using a web site content management system and in coordinating social media marketing campaigns.
|Certificates, Licenses, Registrations
|Must possess a valid Arkansas driver’s license if in-state travel is required. Additional requirements determined by the agency for recruiting purposes require review and approval by the Office of Personnel Management. OTHER JOB RELATED EDUCATION AND/OR EXPERIENCE MAY BE SUBSTITUTED FOR ALL OR PART OF THESE BASIC REQUIREMENTS, EXCEPT FOR CERTIFICATION OR LICENSURE REQUIREMENTS, UPON APPROVAL OF THE QUALIFICATIONS REVIEW COMMITTEE.
|Agency Specific Information
|This is a full time position located in the Communications section of the Department of Arkansas Heritage. To find out more about us please visit www.arkansasheritage.com.
Please review the internal job description listed below:
1. Functional Job Title: Public Information Specialist
2. Class Summary: The Public Information Specialist works under the supervision of the Communications Manager and is responsible for identifying newsworthy events and noteworthy activities and informing the media and general public through the DAH website, press releases, interviews, featured articles, public service announcements, photo opportunities, mailings, flyers, posters, community calendars and advertisements. This position is responsible for content production for the website and social media, for initiating and carrying out media campaigns, and for the growth of the website content and reach. This position is governed by agency /institution policy, state and federal law.
3. Scope of Work:
• Generates new content (written and video) for website and social media sites, coordinates/distributes promotional materials on web and in print, writes and issues press releases, solicits time and space in the media for two DAH divisions.
• Serves as liaison to DAH divisions.
• Coordinates the writing and distribution of electronic and print newsletters.
• Works with graphic artists in the production of literature, web content, and advertising materials.
• Evaluates the effectiveness of the publicity efforts; collects and analyzes data to inform that evaluation; helps formulate and coordinate overall marketing strategy; helps raise visibility and conducts outreach.
• Stays current on new developments in technology that will allow DAH divisions to reach and communicate with its constituents; implements new developments in technology to improve DAH division reach.
• Assists in creating outreach efforts to the DAH division’s stakeholders and constituents; attends events to assist in outreach.
• Performs related responsibilities as required or assigned.
4. Working Relationships: This position has regular contact with DAH division personnel, media representatives and the general public.
5. Knowledge, Skills and Abilities:
• Knowledge of the principles and practices of journalism.
• Knowledge of design and layout techniques.
• Knowledge of Arkansas history and culture.
• Ability to write speeches and articles for publication in print and on Web.
• Ability to conceive of and produce new content (written, still photography, and video) for website, for distribution and for use in social media.
• Ability to make oral presentations.
• Ability to design, edit and lay-out print media advertising.
• Ability to use desktop publishing software.
• Ability to write and edit news articles and other materials for publication.
• Ability to communicate effectively verbally and in writing.
• Ability to collect and analyze data.
• Ability to analyze effectiveness of efforts to reach and communicate with division constituents statewide.
• Ability to use social media to engage constituents, volunteers, and stakeholders.
6. Required Qualifications:
• Bachelor’s degree or equivalent with a major in communications, journalism, public relations or related field; plus
• One year of experience in public relations, communications or related area.
7. Preferred Qualifications: In addition to the required qualifications, applicants should have experience using a web site content management system and in coordinating social media marketing campaigns.
8. Special Requirements: Occasional work outside normal business hours is required. A pre-employment criminal background check is required as is a valid Arkansas drivers’ license. Position is subject to drug screening.
9. Location of Work:
Department of Arkansas Heritage
1100 North Street
Little Rock, AR 72201
10. Benefits: Position is eligible for full state benefits including health and life insurance,
Retirement and annual, sick and holiday leave time. Please visit www.arbenefits.org for further information.
Please complete the application in its entirety. Incomplete applications will not be processed.
If you have questions, please reach out to the contacts listed on this posting.
Thank you for your interest in employment with the Department of Arkansas Heritage.